Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

To Learn Contentment

"But I rejoice in the Lord greatly now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:10-15 


Theses words Paul writes are packed with wisdom and power that followers of Christ need to study and apply to their lives. Most often we see the emphasis on "I can do all things through Christ..." and with the fast pace of the world it becomes easy to skip the word content. Social media makes it easy to see what we are "missing out on" and can lead to envy (not to mention other issues). Take a look at our culture, TV, advertisements, lifestyles... and you will see the attitude of more, more, more. Doing more. Needing more. Wanting more. Always moving on the the next bigger and better thing. I am guilty. 

The definition of content is: pleased and satisfied : not needing more. 

Paul writes in his first letter to Timothy warning him about greed and envy. Then he writes "now godliness with contentment is great gain" 1 Timothy 6:6. And again in Hebrews 13:5 "let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'" 

Why does the Word of God instruct us to be content? Why does Paul consider contentment great gain? When I look at my life, the times that I was content, were the times that I was most thankful, grateful, joyful, and calm. Contentment leads to knowing what God has blessed you with and praising Him for those blessings. It leads to being satisfied in Christ. 

Paul said he learned to be content. To learn takes work and study. It doesn't just happen. I must learn, study, put forth effort, to be content. 

The purpose of writing this blog is to write about learning to be content and to post about the many blessing I have, to help me see how God provides as He promised. For I have been blessed beyond measure. I do not want to miss out on enjoying (being pleased and satisfied) with those blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment