Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Stories by the Fire: The Ski Adventure

Ski with... um... what's the sign say?

Several years ago, before I was trained as a National Ski Patroller, my family took a trip to Smugglers Notch Vermont. There was 13 of us, packed and squished into cars, for the long drive up. Skis loaded on top and tons of warm clothes, snacks and laughter. It was one of those trips that seemed like a dream, or at least, for us kids who didnt have to pay or do anything of the planning! 

We arrivied in Vermont to beautiful snow and sun. To me this was far better than any beach and sun.The  week was packed with skiing, games, good food, tubbing and exploring. The skiing was great! We spent most of out time in the black diamond glades, we even found an ice cave! Due  to our 'exploring' dad decided to buy us helmets, hmm... wise move dad! (I still have and wear the very same helmet!). 

The last day of the trip we woke up to 8 inches of light fluffy perfect beautiful awesome POWDER!!!!!   

My older brother (you will start to see a theme when it comes to stories with my older brother *grin*) and I took off to the far mountian to explore new glades and the deep powder. Now let me tell you, this powder was like no other I have ever skied. So deep, so light, so perfect. It  made you feel like a pro skiier out in the back county. Not even kidding, it. was. awesome! 

We headed down into a glade, enjoying the snow and the beauty of the day. Like I said, it was a new glade we had not even been near yet, but it was great! Racing along we beween pine trees we got down into a chute... My brother was ahead of me and suddenly stopped. We had come to a 15ft drop off!!!!! Now what?!?!?

Being the brave older brother, he decided to jump off first... He landed, almost disappearing in the snow. I heard a loud OUCH!!!!!! Starting to panic I jumped off, and disappeared deep into the snow. I was convinced I lost my skis, but was concerned about my brother. 

When I got over to him his face was an awful color of blue and white. With all the layers of clothes it was hard to tell, but his wrist was deformed... 

Thankfully, another skier came by from another direction and I flagged him down to go for help. We were still way out on the mountain... After what seemed like hours the ski patrol arrived with a sled. They quickly got him taken care of and to the base of the mountain. I was happy when his face regained a normal color! 

They splinted his wrist but it was several hours later on our way back to Pennsylvania before he was able to get it set and cast. We tease him to this day about ending our ski trip. But all things considered it was a good day and a wonderful trip!! 



                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment